Saturday, March 12, 2011

Singapoorly

Anyway, as I was saying before everything went insane, I was in Singapore the other day – not nearly as thrilling a scenario as it might sound, by the way – and came across a delectable figure of speech that somehow manages to combine mixed metaphor and malapropism in one handy package. Favourites include “Running faster than hot cakes”, “The best thing since sliced cheese” and “They’ve blunted their fatted calf”. The latter was uttered by Small Boo on the way back to the airport, which suggests it’s contagious...

3 comments:

expat@large said...

Corright! Blur word like sotong.

Colin Campbell said...

Best thing since sliced cheese Lah?

Anonymous said...

Like it. Reminds me of when I created a "special advanced" collection of English colloquiallisms for the member of my English class (in Poland) who felt he was far ahead of everyone else. It included such classics as "as round as a Spaniard" and "as happy as a cupboard"
Endless hours of fun.